Saturday, May 15, 2010

Fun At The Doctor

We just came from the doctor's office and I didn't leave frazzled from all of the waiting with three little ones, four years old and under.

A few items that worked for restraint/entertainment are treats, crayons and magnets.

Treats are always a hit and really a no brainer for any mom, but I have to share that we find ways to eat our treats so they last longer. Separating fruit snacks into color patterns or making funny sounds with them as our lips smack from their gooiness. Feel free to make up your own games with them. I have also found they are great bribes (or call it motivation) for guiding them to make good choices while waiting.

Crayons you may have heard of before as well. Forgetting them once, the nurse overheard me saying so and brought them in. She mentioned that she only shares them on request from parents. I am sure the nurses have even taken some of my kids creations from the exam table paper for their own home refrigerators... and rightly so! :P

Now my recent hit has been the best. Magnets. Never before did I realize how much metal is in a Doctor's office! We find all of the different places they can stick. We only bring in one magnet per child so as to not give too many options or leave any behind. The children are eager to find a new sticking spot for their own magnets especially when boisterous encouragement is my response.

Lesson Learned: Setting up engaging activities ahead of time for the kids allows for more fun, less discipline, and a happy Mama.

No comments: