Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Organizing Your Greeting Cards

Unused Christmas cards from years past, birthday cards purchased but unsent (If only I used the "You Remembered!? " tip years ago!), extra note cards, cards and or envelopes just lying around, and much more hidden within junk grouping areas, presented me a new "orderly home" project.

A central location for all of these cards, complete with dividers for easy access and filing. I use a 6.4x10.9x16.3in Rubbermaid container that easily holds all card sizes and has a little space for an extra holder for maybe stickers or stamps.

With my Brother PT-80 label maker,(LOVE this gadget) each divider (made from trimming manila envelopes) is given a category as follows.
  • Birthdays
  • Christmas
  • Get Well
  • Friendship
  • New Baby
  • Thank You
  • Note Cards
  • Cards w/out Envelopes
  • Extra Envelopes
With the start of the new year, I am glad to have my "Card and Party Central" in place before I am enveloped :P with the next group of birthdays that seem to all arrive at once.

2 comments:

Grandma Z said...

I love this idea. Makes for easy access and finding the right card fast. I have lots of cards I buy ahead of time and I usually have to shuffle through all of them to find the correct occasion. This is smarter storage.

cjknick said...

I do the same thing except my container is a rubbermaid photo/cd container. It's probably a little longer than the one you have but I make all my cards and they're usually all one size (or almost always). It works perfectly!

Love the tip :)

Cindy in Boise