Monday, April 5, 2010

Seasoning Vegetables

Results from an annual medical exam came back with a great increase in cholesterol numbers.

Now introducing.... How to "process" making Heart Healthy Meal Choices.

With the needed change, I called two of my trusted Health Nut Friends that I had not wanted to take very seriously in the past regarding food until now.. and said "where do I begin". What stuck out from the first conversation was... No Meat, No Dairy, and No processed Sugar.

Almost everything I have made usually had instructions right there on the box. As you may imagine, I was lost. If you would be too, you don't have to admit it. You can simply benefit from my lack of knowledge.

Lesson 1 Seasoning vegetables
A little salt & pepper and some lemon zest (grated lemon peel) goes a long way.
My Health Nut Friend asked me how I prepare my vegetables, and my response was; 1. Go to pantry 2. Get can of Veg 3. Open can ... She let me know kindly yet firmly that canned was not a future option. Ah Boy, so she was kind enough to share this simple seasoning with me.

First Recipe from what I had in the house!
Wheat Spaghetti Noodles
Frozen Broccoli
Baby Carrots
Lemon Zest
salt & pepper

Prepare Noodles from directions on box.
Steam Broccoli for 5 min
Cut and steam baby carrots 5 min
Put Noodles on plate, add broccoli and carrots to center, top with a dash of salt & pepper and lemon zest. Whala! He loved it and so did I. Who knew?!

Special note, we will be doing chicken, turkey and seafood as I have much to learn before we take that huge step to no meat if that is a step we choose to take. We are simply taking the biggest step possible for now.

1 comment:

Claire said...

Kelly, I very rarely use any kind of processed ingredient when I cook. Check out my blog for meal ideas. We eat vegetarian a few nights a week usually, so you may find some easy recipes that you guys will all like. Let me know if you need some suggestions!!

Oh, and I recommend reading any of Michael Pollan's books for more info on eating well/right. I have his most recent, "Food Rules" if you want to borrow it. It's a quick read--maybe 30 minutes.